Sunday, December 22, 2013

home again home again

 I LOVE that we are home! We've been home for a week now and all is well! We went to church today and as I sat in my congregation surrounded by people that I love I remembered the last time that I was at church was just before we left for China. I cried through everything, knowing the difficulty that we were about to enter. Knowing how much I would miss my girls at home. Knowing that this was going to be a hard trip. Today I sat in pure peace and absolute joy with all of my kids around me. Emily running crazy, Tate right behind her, and my older girls taking charge like the awesome kids they are. I am very happy.
                              
I was the worst blogger in China. I was sleep deprived, badly, and I felt like groundhog day sort of. I felt as though it were a continuation of Emily's trip of sorts, and I had nothing new to share.  I have been thinking back on our trip, and how great it really was, so I want to write some of the great parts.
When we arrived in Tate's province, our hotel room only had 1 crib in it. I called down to the front desk and told them we needed another baby bed. They came up immediately, took the 1 bed away and brought in another one. No questions asked, made it up and left. I was laughing to myself, nothing that I could say or act out could make them leave both beds. So I called again and told them we had two babies and needed two beds and they finally brought up another bed. Baby beds in China are a board, with a sheet on it, and a little blanket on top. Emily was not going to go for that. I asked for another blanket. I showed them the blanket on my bed and asked for one. They nodded, smiled, and left the room.  A minute later, a guy showed up to my room with white gloves on and a silver tray, with a little sewing kit on it. I smiled and laughed, and showed him the blanket on my bed and asked for two please. He smiled and nodded, and a minute later a whole crew came into my room and changed ALL of the bedding. I gave up at that point and just smiled. They are SO NICE!!! I love China.
Another time, Gary called down and asked for a bath mat. They said yes ok, and hung up the phone. We were chatting when they called back and said they were on their way up with a "new mattress." Again, no questions asked, yes sir, we'll bring you a new mattress right away! So hospitable, so kind, so service oriented. We love China.
I spent every night in China walking with Tate in the stroller up and down the halls. I would text my friends, catch up on blogs and pintrest, read the news, sit on the floor and cry, all of those things. Gary would spell me if Emily slept which wasn't often, and sometimes I would sneak back into the room and prop Tate up on the bed, and try to sleep for a little bit. He would fall for that trick for about 30 minutes at a time, and we would be back out walking. One night as we were pacing, a young Chinese guy popped his head out the door and watched us walk for a while. There are no rules against boldly staring someone down in China. I was waaaaaay too tired to care anyway. He finally spoke after several minutes, and I think he was telling me that Tate was cold. I kid you not, the hotel kept the halls and lobby at a comfy 80 degrees. Miserably warm. I smiled, and told him he was fine. He kept staring for a long time more, then disappeared into his room. He came out 20 minutes later with a hand towel that smelled very very strongly of incense. He stopped my stroller, moved Tate's blanket, put the towel on his belly and replaced the blanket. Then he smiled and disappeared into his room. I loved it. I loved that he cared about and loved my little boy. I loved that he wanted to help, and did his best. I love that he imparted his wisdom on behalf of my scared, confused, sad, tired son. I really really really love China.
We have been home now for a week. It's been great. Tate still has sleeping issues, but I feel like we are learning, growing, and making baby steps toward healthier sleeping for all of us. He is soooo cute I can't stand it! He makes me laugh and makes me crazy all day. He is LOVING the big girls so very much. He calls them by name, and bosses them around. He loves Emily more than anyone. She is the object of his affection constantly.
I will write more soon, and post pics of being home. I am so happy to be home. Life is so good. Adoption is such an amazing adventure, full of miracles and blessings. I very highly recommend it. There are so many many many orphans who have NO FUTURE without a family. You are their answer, and only hope.

1 comment: